THE family of a teenager who died after a suspected allergic reaction following a meal at a Manchester restaurant have paid tribute to the “light of their lives.”
Shahida Shahid, 18, from Salford, is believed to have told staff at Almost Famous burger bar about her food allergies before eating there on January 9.
The maths student at Manchester University, collapsed and was rushed to hospital where she died three days later. An inquest has heard the cause of death was brain damage caused by a severe allergic reaction.
Her devastated relatives paid tribute to the teenager in a statement which said: “Our beloved angel Shahida, who was only 18 years old, was sadly taken away from us on the 12 January 2015. She was the light of our lives, our happiness and brought joy to many whom she met.
“She was studying mathematics at the University of Manchester and was an avid Manchester united fan. We were so proud of her many achievements but most of all, her generosity and her giving nature. She filled up our lives with her bubbly personality, her memorable laugh and her sense of humour. “Our home and lives have been left empty without our little baby girl but she will never be forgotten and in her passing. We are immensely thankful for all the love, messages and condolences from all who have met her or heard of her passing.”
A joint investigation is underway involving Greater Manchester Police and the Food Standards Agency to establish the exact circumstances of her death.